Winchester Sport & Leisure Park Public Consultation.
Winchester City Council has now published their vision for the Sports & Leisure Project at Bar End – this follows an Initial consultation process and subsequent work on the design concepts. This is available on the Winchester City Council site here. Here there is a link to a copy of the exhibition boards as well as to the associated questionnaire. This is an opportunity to comment on the project’s cycling provisions as well as more generally about the design concept.
Please provide feedback via the City Council questionnaire. Although cyclists’ needs are mentioned in the questionnaire there are not any specific questions and it is our view that the cycle access is inadequate. The place to make any comments will be in the comment box (A3). There are additional comment boxs if you need more space.
The consultation closes on 17th January 2018.
- Challenge the statement “Urban Design Framework (UDF) continues promote safe access to the Park by foot and bicycle”. The current proposals do not adequately prioritise cycling/walking access.
- Support the proposal to link the NCN23 at Domum Road and to the bridleway bridge over the M3 that has the current temporary route of the South Downs Way (see Board Page 4 & map on Page 5).
- Stress that all shared use routes must be wide enough to prevent building in conflict with pedestrians from the start. They should have a sealed surface.
- Suggest that the controlled vehicular and pedestrian access shown on the diagram should be controlled vehicular, pedestrian and cycle access.
- Ask for confirmation that strategic route marked on the map includes use by cyclists and is of adequate width (the legend is unclear)
- Ask for confirmation that longer term aspiration of linking the two halves of the park will be cycle/pedestrian access.
When providing your feedback please consider how you (or your family) would travel to and from the Sports Centre by cycle and whether the proposed route via Domum Road would be an attractive option.. If not, indicate the route that you and your family would have to take to access the site on bike as this will highlight barriers.
Cycle Parking: The plans do not include any cycle parking provision on site at this stage. There must be convenient, secure cycle parking, including some under cover.parking. Please mention this.